Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

Default Compression

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

Just wondering if you use compression at all in your mastering. Most of
the time my recordings don't seem loud enough when played in the car. In
mastering, I keep the peaks below 0 dB, and so the rest of the material
is a little lower than a client might like. I'm just not real sure how to
do compression carefully and know what the consequences will be.Using
Adobe Audition 2.0.

I don't use formal dynamics compression as such very much.

What I've found is that most music and speech tracks have a relatively
small number of peaks that are 3-6 or more dB above the rest and often
have a very brief duration.

I use a set of custom gain envelopes for Audition/CEP2 that start out at
unity gain and implement shaped valleys that I can then apply to these
spurious peaks and bring them into line with the rest of the track.

I then use overall gain or normalization to bring the track average
levels up. I can generally boost average levels 3-6 dB and sometimes more,
which makes a big difference in how these tracks sound when played in a
noisy context. Yet the normal bounce and dynamics of the track are
largely preserved and there is not the mind-numbing sameness that seems to
plague heavily compressed tracks.

The hard limit function works very well for the outlier peaks, if used with
common sense and restraint.

Sean