Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Advice To Others Wanting to Build A Stereo System

On 03/08/2018 23:06, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what this means. It doesn't matter one bit what
the impedance is, as long as the amplifier can drive it and the speaker cable
can handle it. P=IV and you can increase I or V and either way get the same
results.

I think what Thekma is on about is a tendency in automotive applications
to use speakers with very low impedances to permit more power to be
drawn from the limited supply voltage, the need for which is exacerbated
by the tendency of modern speakers to improve linearity at the expense
of efficiency. If you need a long throw, it's cheaper to make a long
voice coil than a long, uniform magnetic field which will contain the
whole coil. The down side is that a fair amount of the coil isn't
actually doing much, as it's outside the magnetic field.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.