Glenn Booth

Default Apple defends tests

Hi,

In message , Scott
Reams writes
Deceptive marketing through benchmarks has been the order of the day in
the computer industry since T.J. Watson's era. Why does Apple's latest
foray into doubtful benchmarks surprise you? The PC folks do the same
thing, as do most of the workstation vendors.

Not to the same degree. I challenge you or anyone else to give a specific
example.

Take a look at

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/05/1...&tid=185&tid=1
37

I'm not trying to rise to your challenge, but I know for a fact that
benchmark cheating in the PC marketplace is rife. Check out the recent
battle between ATi and nVidia, documented on www.theregister.com, over
the 3DMark 2003 benchmark suite. I've been seeing this **** for years. I
even know one (now defunct) PC system builder that would swap out the
cache chips on hard drives before submitting systems for magazine
reviews, to screw a few extra benchmark points of out of them. Needless
to say, the customers would never see those bigger cache chips in their
systems.
--
Regards,
Glenn Booth