Hal Laurent

Default Apple defends tests

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
reddred wrote:

The thing is that VMS has a dual-fork filesystem as well
if you want to think about it that way. There is formatting information
stored in the directory along with each file. So you can have a text file
that is a STREAM_LF file, or is a variable-record-length file with 80

column
maximum length records, and they seem the same from the user perspective

but
they are different.

If I recall correctly (and it's been quite a number of years since I did
VMS programming), a VMS directory doesn't have much more than the name
and dates of a file. I believe the record format and other information is
stored
in the file header in INDEXF.SYS.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore, Maryland