Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I'm usually set up for a mixdown process, or I'm set up for someone else's
project, which
involves changing a lot of stuff to get back into a "recording" mode for
myself.

Sounds like you could do with a patchbay, a couple hundred bucks worth
of cables, and a day's worth of system engineering to make things
easier for you tu switch between tracking and mixing.

I find that
with the minidisc, I can take it upstairs and just record on the fly, whenever
the mood hits

That's a good application for it. But your "main" studio could be just
as easy, unless you really prefer to do your "when the mood hits"
recordings upstairs.

. You can get a TASCAM 788 8-track

Sounds good. But, my friend bought one a year ago, and still hasn't been able
to figure out
to record a song on it.

Well, there's always a learning curve. Frankly, I find that anything
that's highly integrated, even the old 4-track cassette
recorder/mixers, don't have enough knobs and buttons on them to make
operation and understanding of signal flow obvious. But I agree that
user interfaces are extremely important, and few companies do a really
good job with them. They want to use as little hardware as possible
(which means fewest number of knobs and buttons, and the smallest
display they can get away with) to keep the price down. When you get
into the range of the Akai "studio in a box" units for a coupe of
grand, then they start paying more attention to those things.

Maybe I can buy it off of him cheap, since he has no idea
what to do with it.

If your friend isn't doing anything with it, see if he'll lend it to
you so you can check it out. Either you can teach him how to use it,
buy it and use it yourself, or tell him to sell it (to someone else).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )