Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default SACD recommendation

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:09:50 -0800, Ed Presson wrote
(in article ):

Oppo replied to a query from me with the following information:

"SACD is either sent direct as DSD or as a PCM conversion
(24-bit/88.2KHz) depending on the SACD setting under Audio Format
Setup. If SACD is set to DSD, then the player will not do any
decoding and will simply convert DSD into analog.

But doesn't it do direct SACD decoding ONLY through HDMI? I seem to
recall something like that in the manual, but it isn't clear.

If SACD is set to PCM, then the player will convert DSD into
24-bit/88.2KHz PCM."

The Oppo BDP-95 Users Manual also suggests (about the SACD to PCM
option): "You may also want to select this option if you prefer the
sound quality of the DSD-to-PCM conversion."

I don't know a lot about the conversion techniques, but I would have
thought that the straight DSD to analog would have provided the
most accurate analog signal. What advantage might the DSD-to-PCM
conversion provide this listener?

None. It's another step, though. I have software that converts my DSD
(SACD format) recordings into LPCM for distribution to my clients.
Direct comparison shows the PCM to sound a little rougher on top and
little lighter in the bottom. If you didn't do a direct comparison,
you wouldn't even notice it.

I have not yet done any A/B comparisons. I doubt that I'd hear
the differences, frankly, with my aging ears.

My ears are pretty old as well. You can hear it unless your hearing
has been damaged somehow.