Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl[_4_] Karl[_4_] is offline

Default Vinyl vs. CD audio level

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:27:19 GMT, Steven Liburd
wrote:
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

You need to leave some headroom to avoid cliping.

How could there be a "standard gain"? It depends on the levels of your
equipment and how worn out your records are.

Worn records should not affect the audio level unless pops blow the
normalization. I've found some nasty pops on brand new records.