Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl[_4_] Karl[_4_] is offline

Default Vinyl vs. CD audio level

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"GregS" wrote...
I don't fully understand what he is referring to, but its all about
levels.
On my stereo system, I have to turn the volume control full up to listen
to vinyl, and way down for anything else.

We have been assuming that you have your turntable plugged
into an input designated as "phono". If you have it plugged into
anything else, then it is a wonder that you can hear anything at all.

If you don't have a phono input on your receiver, then you
need an RIAA phono preamp to bring up the volume to the
same "line level" as any of your other sources.

Not to mention getting the right equalization. It would be over-emphasized
treble and noise, and no bass.