Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Vinyl vs. CD audio level

Steven Liburd wrote:

I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

There can be no standard amplification since (to begin with) different
pickup cartridges have different sensitivities. Also, the recording itself
may be made quieter in order to slightly prolong playing time and there's no
telling what the maximum amplitude on any recording may be. So that's 3
reasons it's not practical.

You'll have to 'normalise' them yourself.

Graham