Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Vinyl vs. CD audio level

"Steven Liburd" wrote ...
The initial results have been pretty good. The reason I'm interested in
getting my CDs to match the level of my commercial CDs is that I like to
mix my own CDs, so I of course would like the level to be consistent
regardless of source. Or, if I put a mix of commercial and converted CDs
into the changer I don't have to fiddle with the volume every time a new
disk is started.

I have one LP that I also have in CD format, so I'm going play around with
the pair to see if I can come up with a baseline for what I need to do.

Don't assume that establishing levels for that particular recording
will necessarily apply to others. Black vinyl wasn't like CDs where
there is an absolute Full Scale beyond which there is zero headroom.
Discs were cut with levels that were all over the map, IME. It is
almost like setting levels for a live recording, except that you have
a "preview" function(! :-)

If you have a "feel" for the average levels of your CDs, you can
"eyeball" the levels in Audacity (or whatever) to match. However,
don't be surprised if the levels don't "sound" as loud even when
you normalize to 0dBFS. You may need to apply significant
compression to the LP tracks to approach what modern popular
music CDs sound like.