Chris Hornbeck

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:42:15 -0600, Justin Ulysses Morse
wrote:

I know Mithat, and he knows what he's talking about. If he didn't, he
wouldn't have written it. He's not saying that dither can't be applied
in the digital domain. He's saying it needs to be applied prior to the
quantization (or re-quantization) that's being dithered.

In an ADC, this could occur in the analog domain, or in the case of an
oversampling converter, it could be done digitally before the signal is
quantized to 16 or however many bits.

In the case of truncating 24 bit data into 16 bits, he's saying you
have to add the dither BEFORE you lop off those bottom 8 bits. The
dither and the LSBs have to be summed before truncation.

Hi Ulysses,
Thanks for your comments. I really don't know how to resolve this.
What you say makes perfect sense, but Watkinson says otherwise.
Maybe someone else could help out?.....

Chris Hornbeck
"That is my Theory, and what it is too."
Anne Elk