Justin Ulysses Morse

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

Mike Rivers wrote:

I haven't given this any thought, so I'll just throw out the question
to ponder. Is it possible that time resolution between components of a
complex wave could be better with a higher sampler rate? Could the
phase relationship between the fundamental and, say, third harmonic of
a distorted guitar, be more accurately preserved at a higher sample
rate?

If my understanding is correct, and it's based mostly on what I read
here from I think Arny (but it makes perfect sense to me), then the
answer to your question is that yes, a higher sample rate (or a higher
bit rate for that matter) would improve that time resolution; but that
the resolution is already WAY higher than necessary. People assume
that the time-domain accuracy is one sample period; but it's really one
sample period divided by the quantization range. So the time domain
accuracy for CD audio would be 1/(44100*2^16) or 346 picoseconds.
That's about a decimal place or two off of what I vaguely remember Arny
saying, so I've probably messed it up. But you get the idea? I
probably shouldn't be paraphrasing from memory, so go back and read
Arny's post from yesterday in one of these threads.

ulysses