Kurt Albershardt

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

Roger W. Norman wrote:
"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

Also: due to the way computers store information, 18 bit PCM takes the
same amount of disk space as does 24 bit PCM (and often the same amount
as does 32 bit floating point PCM data.)

Well, my point wasn't that using 24 bit has anything wrong with it, nor,
with the cost of storage today, is there a problem with using 24 bit for any
project. In fact, the processing aspects of digital certainly require that
you use 24 bit, and save it as 32 bit floating point if you can. I was just
trying to make it clear that there are technical aspects of 24 bit
converters that wouldn't necessarily make them better than 16 bit in given
circumstances.

And I was merely pointing out one of the reasons we have so many 24-bit
converters on the market when their real performance is more like 19-22
bits.