Steven Dillon

Default Mic Questions

"Stephen Boyke" wrote in message
Your herd of instruments are not going to be the problem whatsoever.
Most of the pros that post here deal with lower quality guitars from their
clients (e.g., Martin or Taylor). It does sound like you want to blend

two
high quality stereo tracks from mics and a pickup track to pick up the
specialized items (slapping harmonics, tapping, etc.) Consider running a
Sunrise into a nice tube DI into a separate track. Michael Hedges' Aerial
Boundaries was recorded in four channels : a pair of Neumann KM84s as a
spaced pair (6' apart), a Neumann U67 in the center, back 6' or so, and a
Sunrise. Can't remember what pres were used.

Hey Stephen,
Ah, yes, Aerial Boundaries! Michael could get a big sound! Especially
on tunes like Aerial Boundaries and Rickover's Dream... God that's good
stuff... He changed the world of acoustic guitar forever with that CD!!
Just thinking about it while writing this, I had to go put it on so I can
listen
to it. I had never even heard of Michael while he was alive. I'm sort of a
second generation Michaels Hedges player; that is, the guys that have
influenced my playing were influenced by Michael... I kept hearing so
much about the guy that I decided to check him out. I watched a video
that he had taped at Will's house (some party they were throwing) and
was completely and totally taken.. :-0 I must have watched it like 100
times at work, over and over... I just couldn't believe the groove that
he had (tune was Jitterboogie). I came home and ordered 3 of his CDs
that night.

Anyway, I do have a Sunrise on the Webber. But, I don't like it that
much. It's too nasally (and I haven't been able to EQ that out of it).
I only went that route because the Highlander that's also in the
Webber has a really weak E string (1st). I use the Rane AP-13 to
pull up the volume on the high side and balance it out with the
Highlander. Now, the T.C. Electronics Stereo Chorus that Michael
used, is a different story. They are fantastic! Nothing else I have
tried even comes close. It's a little pricey, but worth it!

When you talk about putting a mic back 6 feet from the player, how
does the mic have enough input without a pre-amp? I got everything
setup last night (the mics that I do have) and found that the SM81's
need almost all the trim that's possible and I had to lift the input on
the board a little too just to get them to have a respectable input level.
I can't get either one of them to go green and they aren't that far from
the guitar (14-16 inches). Compared to the Direct Out from the amps,
which I had to turn nearly off to calm them down, I can barely hear
the SM81's... :-/

Thanks,

Steven Dillon

http://www.stevendillon.com