Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

Default Velleman K40x0, the very model of an all-round amp

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

I owned one that another fellow put together. I remember replacing some
of
the 10 ohm resistors because of excessive cathode current draw.

It was a nice looking amp, with plenty of power. The PCBs were a turn-off,
but not a killer for me (Hey, if you want to have some REAL fun, do
component-level work on an Audio Research D-70. What a nightmare to
repair!)

In my continuing search for the holy grail of sound, that amp went to a
new
owner. To my ears, the sound was kind of harsh for a tube amp, and
lacking
excitement.

I agree that it is "a good-sounding DIY project."

And, in that respect, if it does something to light the spark
of interest in tube audio, then it has served a very useful purpose.

Iain