Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default Velleman K40x0, the very model of an all-round amp

(snip)

Oh,. I don't think it is anywhere near that!
I regard it as a good-sounding DIY project, no more.
The fact that the tube sockets are mounted on the PCB
really put me off.

I have a Radford STA 100. So no contest.

Iain

I owned one that another fellow put together. I remember replacing some of
the 10 ohm resistors because of excessive cathode current draw.

It was a nice looking amp, with plenty of power. The PCBs were a turn-off,
but not a killer for me (Hey, if you want to have some REAL fun, do
component-level work on an Audio Research D-70. What a nightmare to repair!)

In my continuing search for the holy grail of sound, that amp went to a new
owner. To my ears, the sound was kind of harsh for a tube amp, and lacking
excitement.

I agree that it is "a good-sounding DIY project."

Jon