Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Velleman K40x0, the very model of an all-round amp

On Oct 19, 3:50 pm, Multi-grid wrote:
overmatched to the Tannoys. It has around 16 to 18W in Class A alone.
I sometimes used mine for driving a bass bin, where its 100W in Class
A/B could sometimes come into play, at least theoretically (I'm not a
headbanger).

hey-Hey!!!,
An amp with maximum output happening with one phase of its PP set cut
off is *NOT* class A. A real class A amp has both phases conducting at
maximum power, and not from some variable pitch grid winding, remote
cut-off stuff either.

That Vellman amp is an AB, and barely so at that.
cheers,
Douglas

What are you on about, Dougles? I just told you, it is a class AB amp.
Class AB amps by definition have some class A output and the rest in
Class B. If you want an unadulterated Class A amp with a 100W output,
you're going to be paying real money, and if you're a snob who wants
it in SE, you're going to be paying Range Rover Vogue money. I know; I
built an 80W SE amp, which of course by definition ran only in Class
A. The Velleman is relatively inexpensive, very sturdy, very good
value amplifier kit from the most famous makers of all kinds of
electronic kits in the world. But its price will look a tip to a
doorman by the time you finish paying for a 100W Class A amp.

And what's that rubbish about "maximum output" anyway? By definition a
class AB amp's Class A output is at some lower power than maximum,
otherwise it would be a Class A amp, period. The whole point about a
Class AB amp is that most music is played where such an amp makes its
sweetest sounds, but that it has headroom for any contingency, though
you sacrifice a little something in quality when that headroom is
taken up.

If your taste is so refined that you must have nothing but Class A,
there are a bunch of designs for Class A amps on my netsite. And, for
the sake of completeness, my own favourite everyday amp is my own T113
"Triple Threat" design, which runs PP EL34s in triode and strictly in
Class A. But you'd need about 8 of those to get 100W...

You know an audiophool snob when he starts talking about "pure" Class
A...

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"