Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default The damping factor and the sound of real music

In article , Bob Latham bob@sick-
of-spam.invalid scribeth thus
In article ,
Eiron wrote:
Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

Okay, that was unfair but you're not going to get deep bass from an
open backed speaker unless its huge. Anyone know the -3db point on
Quad electros? I think my KEFS (TEB) are -2db at 38Hz.

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/model.php...id=1&conten t

=3#details
"Axis band limits -6dB at 35Hz (3rd Order)" Not much different to your
KEFs.

Oh I think they are different. Its not only the roll off, its also how
much spl they can provide that gives the overall impression of bass I
think. Certainly, I found Quads (admittedly not recent) a bit thin and
most surprisingly to me a bit dull too though I'm sure they don't measure
badly at the top.

Yes of course .. chose your sound and flavour;!...

I'll go along with low coloration but it is well accepted that electro
statics of moderate size suffer the two weaknesses of poor l/f
extension and lower spl than TEBs, reflex or transmission lines.

How loud do you need in your lounge? I wouldn't use ESLs for parties but
they are adequate for normal domestic use.

I don't think I could agree with that for some types of music but I could
for others.

Cheers,

Bob.

--