Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default The damping factor and the sound of real music

In article , Bob Latham bob@sick-
of-spam.invalid scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Eeyore rabbitsfriendsandrel
scribeth thus

It's a well known fact you complete idiot that electrostatics are
bass light. It's

Coloration light you mean...

Electrostatics may indeed have less colouration than most speakers but
that has nothing to do with the bass.

Define bass

The absence of any meaningful baffle means the electrostatics will
always have poor bass repsponse. It's inherent to the design (the rear
radiation cancels the front

radiation more at low frequencies determined by its physical size).

So I wonder how I'm hearing that Organ recording I made 't other week?..

Harmonics?

Okay, that was unfair but you're not going to get deep bass from an open
backed speaker unless its huge. Anyone know the -3db point on Quad
electros? I think my KEFS (TEB) are -2db at 38Hz.

I'll go along with low coloration but it is well accepted that electro
statics of moderate size suffer the two weaknesses of poor l/f extension
and lower spl than TEBs, reflex or transmission lines. Of all the speakers
made in the world which one is most common to see two pairs stacked
together in an attempt to get some extension out of them. Wasn't the guy
who started SME famous for having stacked Quads in his listening room?

Yes but that was the ESL57 series and quite well that worked, but the
modern designs are sufficient for purpose if you want to hear what
really went on...

For making -pleasant sounds- I've got some boxed speakers in another
room...

--
Tony Sayer