Posted to rec.audio.tubes, uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default The damping factor and the sound of real music

On Dec 24, 6:15*am, Eeyore
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
Eeyore *wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
Eeyore *wrote:

Andre Jute wrote [to Patrick Turner]:

I have never been as impressed with ultra-low silicon-
level Rout as you are

Yeah, you're probably impressed by the phoney low end boost you get with
moving coil loudspeakers when driving them from a high outout impedance
(underdamped resonance). The phrase 'single note bass' comes to mind.

Nah. I have been going to live concerts and thinking seriously about
the music so as to be able to write about it for five decades now. I
know what reproduced music should sound like. If you want to know,
perhaps it is time for a guy your age, my dear Graham, to stop
pretending you're some kind of overage hipster, and replace those
boomboxes of yours with
a) a set of Mr Walker's marvellously precise electrostatic speakers
(ESL) and

Which don't have very much in the way of bass !

You must have heard that on the street corner where engineers who
cannot afford electrostats gather, Poopie.

It's a well known fact

That's what I said, Poopie, that all the idiots think they know this
for a fact because the other idiots on their street corner said so. I
prefer to trust my own experience. I actually have several pairs of
electrostats, and horns, and IBs, and vented speaks.

you complete idiot

Oh, I wouldn't claim the perfection of completion. I probably have
another thirty years to live, at least part of which I shall spend
polishing my idiocy to a gloss that will give apoplectic fits to zero-
imagination clowns like you at a hundred paces.

that electrostatics are bass light. It's
a natural consequence of their very construction.

Nope, it's not. First of all, electrostats are not inherently bass
light. Like every other speakers, their bass depends on their size and
their positioning in the room, not to mention the length of the room.
Your *opinion* that they are bass light merely reflects your lack of
imagination and perhaps the limitations of your accommodation, and
probably a lack of experience with electrostats.

First of all, you can put the edge of an ESL right up against the
wall, then on one side the wavelength to cancellation becomes the
entire length of wall to the other ESL against the opposite wall.

Second, you can stack ESL to get any amount of bass that a headbanger
like you considers necessary. All it takes is imagination, a certain
minimum of engineering skill, and money. If your room is around 45
feet or longer, a pair of ESL to each wall will be good, with each
pair together at one edge and angled to put about 12in between the
centrepoints, the open end of the triangle hard up against the wall.
If the room is long enough put the two triangles of ESL about halfway
along the long walls. Try it. Wherever you are in the room, the sound
will follow you like the Mona Lisa's eyes, and you will have bass down
to Tannoy horn levels (and there is nothing but nothing more
authoritative than the bass a big horn attaches to the floor and the
walls and the ceiling, to your very skin). If you're high enough on
bad dope to want to ruin your ears, stack another pair of ESL on top
of each pair already against the wall. It isn't even necessary to
angle them because this is just higher quality bass reinforcement than
you get with a sub (subs for dipoles and particularly for electrostats
are a pain because they can't match that ultra-clean quality of the
midrange).

Third, a dipole isn't a problem, it is an opportunity. Consider your
older type of grand house, built to have an enfilade of rooms all
connected to each other in a row, like an art gallery. Now consider
the opportunity of a Bessel array, which becomes domestically feasible
with ESL in rooms around 40 feet long. All you do to get all the bass
of electrostats is to set up a Bessel array of as few as five or seven
electrostats in a row in the space between the two rooms, fill in the
holes, and Bob's your uncle, for less cost than the 2x or 4x pyramid
of drivers per wall (8 or 16 for two rooms) you have two rooms full of
point source sound following you wherever you go, including excellent
clean bass down to the mid-20s. Don't give me bull about box speakers
being able to match that sort of quality; everyone with the slightest
experience knows it isn't true. You can learn about Bessel arrays on
my netsite at: at:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/JUTE%20on
%20BESSEL.htm
Of course, Bessel is an engineering solution for cheapskates wanting
quality sound, and ESL are not exactly for cheapskates but, hey, let a
thousand flowers bloom.

Graham

You should put your mind in gear sometime, Poopie. You will find the
new experience exhilarating. You might even want to do it again.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"