Posted to rec.audio.tubes
patrick-turner patrick-turner is offline

Default Professional Radio Engineer

On Friday, 21 December 2012 13:07:28 UTC+11, Alex Pogossov wrote:
Who is that "professional radio engineer", living not far from Canberra and selling dodgy tube amps? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110991918... 4.m1423.l2649 Patrick would know... Spray painting the whoile transformer is a dodgy job. Laminates should be painted black, while the covers -- different colour or crome. And besides, "professionals" do not use 6.3mm jacks for the speaker connectors, unless the contacts are gold plated. With nickel plated steel, contact resistance is unstable within a few milliohms which is no-no for any decent audiophil! Regards, Alex

Why on earth would I know a so called "professional radio engineer" not far from Canberra?

The Ebay amateur guy you refer to is selling a POS ancient Mullard amp that has been painted grey all over, and he is located in a small country town called Bungendore, about 35km away from where I am in central Canberra cbd, and on road between here and Batemans Bay on sth Coast. The population of Canberra plus 50km radius is about 380,000 ppl, and i guess there are many ppl with Old Krappe amps who I don't know, and many of them don't know me, or know about me, or wouldn't want to ever know me if they ever did get to know my unbending opinions about Olde Junke that they have dressed up to sell by painting grey, while perhaps describing themselves as professionals while not being able to support that claim, or show any sign of any professionalism, or tradesmen like worthiness or honesty in any way. While the seller fails to show he is reputable, he doesn NOT show he is disreputable, and he only wants a low price which I am sure he will get, maybe $100 even, and even if it doesn't work, maybe another $100 worth of second hand parts and some labour might fix it.

The mono amp being sold seems to be just ONE, not a matching pair, and seems to have an old Leak OPT at one end of the chassis. Other parts on chassis look very generic old stuff, and R&C underchassis are combination of cheap 1W carbon film garbage quality R, with variety of some newish C plus mostly very old C parts from 1960s. So, underchassis has Real Crap that has not been re-engineered properly. 6mm jack at back is fine if in good condition, for low power, and the amp should suit somebody who wanted a low power mono system. There is room to put in a source switch and volume control to allow use of modern sources like CD, AM-FM tuner etc, or else the amp could be used for a low power musician's amp.