Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Pogossov Alex Pogossov is offline

Default Professional Radio Engineer

"flipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:20:27 +1100, "Alex Pogossov"
wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Alex Pogossov"

And besides, "professionals" do not use 6.3mm jacks for the speaker
connectors, unless the contacts are gold plated. With nickel plated
steel, contact resistance is unstable within a few milliohms which is
no-no for any decent audiophil!

** You must be thinking of "audiophools" not audiophiles.

Nickel plated *brass* 1/4 inch jacks and plugs are fine for speakers,
millions of instrument amps have used them for decades. Removal and
insertion plus occasional cleaning is all that is needed.

Gold plating is only for small signals.

Ah, was kidding...
For the instrument amps, perhaps a jack is OK, but audiophools shall use
enormous gold plated terminals, and a special litz speaker wire of perhaps
2000 insulated 0.07mm strands each, so that ohmic loss is small and
constant
from DC to 1MHz..Otherwise you lose transparency of the highs!

I saw one site selling multi-thousand dollar speaker cables with the
'feature' that in THEIRS the signal traveled at 90% the speed of
light. Which, of course, is critical when sending audio 10 feet.

A brilliant idea came to me. We need to start manufacturing special
audiophoolish coaxial cables with Z=4ohm impedance, Z=8ohm impedance and
Z=16ohm impedance. Using such coax as a speaker cable an audiophool can
achieve perfect matching of the speakers to the amp in the widest frequency
range. Group delay will be constant within picoseconds! They will line up to
buy such a cable. It will be very thick though as the inner diameter shall
be very close to the outer diameter to have low characteristic impedance.

Those audiophools who use Cyclotron amps, of course can not use unbalanced
coax in a fully balanced system. For those we will manufacture multilayer
ribbon cables with the same standard impedances! (Ordinary twisted pair is
unsuitable -- it has far too high characteristic impedance.) Perhaps as an
alternative a special twisted Litz can be used with half of the strands in
parall serving as conductor A, the other half -- conductor B. Most likely it
shall be impregnated by some high epsilon goop -- for higher capacitance and
hence lower impedance.

How does this sound?