Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Turntable recommendations

On May 10, 8:59*pm, Boon wrote:
On May 10, 2:19*am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"

wrote:
I've been finding some good vinyl cheap recently (for example, I found
two of the three Harry James D2D Sheffields for a total of $6, some
cool Ella recordings on Verve, some old six-eyes Columbia recordings
for a couple of bucks each, etc.). They are all in mint condition.

I haven't been able to pass them up even though my turntable is in
storage right now out of state. The stipulations:

I'd like a reasonable turntable (under $500) and a recommendation for
a cartridge that will perform well with whatever arm is on the table.

Used is very acceptable if they're readily available. I don't want to
have to dig or hunt for months to get it.

Bratzi and 2pid can respond with recommendations only if they promise
to give up stupid OT posts for a year. And 2pid also has to promise
not to sing the praises of his POS Mitsubishi.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Rega. Rega rega, rega rega rega. Rega? Rega rega!

Pro-Jects and Music Halls can't match the reliability, sound quality
and ease of use of the Regas.

None of these have any suspension, at least not the models any one
could afford.

This is not a great feature.

It used to be the budget table of choice was a reworked AR, however
that is no longer true since Merrill came down with high-end-itis and
decided to price his products as Veblen goods.

The Linn Sondek LP12 is the small block Chevy of turntables albeit at
BMW prices. Used ones can be a good value but you have to know your
stuff and it is an arcane matter of being initiated to know this. Linn
are a thoroughly fascist organization and no third party puts out a
definitive manual. The Linn is a copy, basically, of the Ariston
table.

Are the Regas a bad product? No, but they have issues, such as the
lack of VTA on the tone arms. The Rega tone arm is very popular on
other tables, of course. They aren't as good as the SME, but they are
not as expensive either.

Japanese direct drive tables are simply not an audiophile option,
although are a good gift for parents who want to play their old
records without tearing them up.