Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Turntable recommendations

On May 10, 8:59*pm, Boon wrote:
On May 10, 2:19*am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"

wrote:
I've been finding some good vinyl cheap recently (for example, I found
two of the three Harry James D2D Sheffields for a total of $6, some
cool Ella recordings on Verve, some old six-eyes Columbia recordings
for a couple of bucks each, etc.). They are all in mint condition.

I haven't been able to pass them up even though my turntable is in
storage right now out of state. The stipulations:

I'd like a reasonable turntable (under $500) and a recommendation for
a cartridge that will perform well with whatever arm is on the table.

Used is very acceptable if they're readily available. I don't want to
have to dig or hunt for months to get it.

Bratzi and 2pid can respond with recommendations only if they promise
to give up stupid OT posts for a year. And 2pid also has to promise
not to sing the praises of his POS Mitsubishi.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Rega. Rega rega, rega rega rega. Rega? Rega rega!

Did you say something, Boon? I didn't quite catch it.

Pro-Jects and Music Halls can't match the reliability, sound quality
and ease of use of the Regas.

I'm sensing that you're making a recommendation here. Hm.

Don't get a Rega P1 unless you get a better cartridge and the glass
platter. Don't get a Rega cartridge.

I wish I could pick up what you're trying to say. What are you trying
to tell me?

Find a Rega P2. Get an Ortofon Red 2M cartridge. The latter is $99 and
sounds great on the Regas. Enjoy.

Say, Boon, I have an idea: what about Rega? I hear they make some nice
stuff.