Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default Turntable recommendations

On May 10, 9:41*pm, hophead wrote:
In article 466ed230-2dca-432b-844b-f09e528e2493
@e1g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, says...

Thanks, I'm now eyeing a used Pro-Ject. What do you think of Music
Hall?

Music Hall are essentially comparable to Pro-Ject (they are really
customized Pro-ject tables). They are fine for the price.

I wouldn't argue strenously with Boon regarding Rega as a choice, but
frankly I'd choose an entry level Pro-Ject or Music Hall over a P1. But
if you could find something like a used P3 in your price range, that
would be sweet.

The P1 is frankly no big deal. It sounds no better than a Pro-Ject or
a Music Hall. But I bet it's still much more reliable.

Last weekend I compared a P1 directly with a P2, both with the Ortofon
Red 2M cartridge. The P1 sounded woolly and distinct, while the P2
sounded much more like music.

A used P3 would be an even better choice, but it's very hard to find
one for less than $500 these days. You can find a "gently used" P2 for
around $300 to $400.