Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Preamps

On Jul 30, 2:42*pm, John Stone wrote:
On 7/30/10 2:22 PM, in article
, "Boon"

wrote:
On Jul 30, 10:22*am, Bret L wrote:
*The best preamp is no preamp. In the case of CD players, DACs, and
tuners there is no reason to have a preamp but for the intransigence
of the makers who refuse to put convenient volume controls on them.
However, to provide for volume control, tone controls, switching of
units without moving cables and for phono sections (you could put it
in the turntable, but nooo) you need a preamp.

From what book did you copy this?

Although others have pointed me in that direction the emphasis is
mine. The words are mine. Otherwise you'd see quotation marks and a
link or other citation.

And what happened to his love affair with the Marantz 7?

Oh, I still think the Marantz 7 is the thing to copy, in many ways,
but with a different power supply to be certain.

It needs a fine stepped attenuator and there is no reason to have
left and right channel tone controls on separate knobs I know of.

If you need a pre that's the pre to beat. But if you don't, avoid
them altogether.