Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Default LA Sound Redondo 80 ... simple questions

Hi Doug,

As far as I know, and someone will correct me if this is poor advice,
you shouldn't be putting anything in danger of blowing up by wiring 8-
ohm speakers to that amplifier. You'll just be getting less power to
them.

Since I've been doing car audio (10+ years, now) the standard is
pretty much 4-ohm speakers (I would not say that this is the standard
for subwoofers, however). If you purchased the speakers you're
talking about recently, you're likely to find that they're 4, not 8-
ohm.

I'm a little confused by the wiring you're suggesting - I can't tell
if you'd be messing with the resistance (ohms) of the load. I'd say
take a look at this site: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...rs_wiring.html
(I know, it's for subwoofers, but it's useful for figuring out what
your wiring configuration's resistance will be).

Lastly, I'm nearly certain that your mystery (pink) wire would be the
remote lead for the amp - yes, it simply tells the amplifier when to
turn on.

~Mister.Lull

On Mar 14, 10:41*pm, Doug McLaren wrote:
Just picked up a used LA Sound Redondo 80 amplifier. *No instructions,
of course.

Looks like it's rated at 35w x 4 at 2 ohms, or 20w x 4 at 4 ohms.
What would happen if I used 8 ohm speakers? *Just less power? *The
release of magic smoke?

I haven't checked my speakers, but the last time I messed with stereos
(decades ago!) 8 ohms was the standard. *Has this changed?

I plan on powering it with a deep cycle 12v battery and feeding it
with an iPod directly to the line inputs.

Would it get upset if I put the inputs in parallel and the outputs in
parallel so that two channels drove each speaker for more power? *I
assume I need to make sure the polarities of the wires all match, but
beyond that, it should work, no?

It's got two big power wires -- red and black, it's obvious what
they're for -- but there's also a smaller pink one. *What's that for?
My guess is that the red and black can be wired directly to the
battery, and the pink one can be wired to the car stereo or ignition,
to be hot when the amplifier should turn on. *Or is it something else?

Thanks in advance ...

--
Doug McLaren,