Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Low Hertz Low Hertz is offline

Default Receiver Advice Wanted, My Nachamichi appears to be dying.

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 12:05:57 PM UTC-8, Low Hertz wrote:
I figure this is the best place to get advice.
=20
My Nachamichi 700 once took a lightening hit. I spent a fortune getting
it fixed, but didn't use it for more than 3 months and the warranty expir=

ed.
It just sort of dies. I need to replace it. I've put a fortune into hav=

ing it fixed and don't want to do it again.
=20
I'm not an audiophile. I'm a professional musician with a love for real =

acoustic music. But I'm very picky about my stereo equipment.
=20
I only want to drive 2 speakers, 2 EPI with Heil Air Motion Transformers.
I've never heard regular speakers that reproduce highs at all.
They have great realistic basses. As a string bass players I love clean
bass, and hate the thumpers so common today. These have an incredibly he=

avy speaker cab, with a 12" woofer facing down and a passive 12" woofer. I=
t has a real sexy bass.
=20
The only "sound stage" that really impressed me were Koss electrostatic h=

eadphones, if that means anything to you.
=20
Mostly, I want to plug my TV audio speakers into it, regular RCA that obv=

iously have power as they are volume sensitive, and listen to National Publ=
ic Radio. I have my computer connected to my TV with a USB to HDMI connec=
tion, so all my computer streaming goes through my TV and stereo.
I love sound scores. I also use Pandora and MP3s, but know they are limi=

ted.
=20
I had a Philips 212 Turntable that I believe was stolen by my movers.
=20
I'm looking for very clean, realistic sound. Like my Nachamichi used to =

produce before it was hit with lightening. I also had a Proton during thei=
r brief period they were producing audiophile quality integrated amps, but =
the switch plate keeps breaking, and one channel is not working.
=20
I don't know s*** about new equipment. I know I used to look for stuff w=

ith a lot of copper and weight. I know there are new technologies. I want=
something built like a tank. I would surly consider a tube unit if it wer=
e reliable. As a musician, I loved my old Fender Bassman which I stupidly =
sold when I moved to California
=20
I figure this is the best place to get so knowledgeable highly opinionate=

d advice, both of a really clean unit that will meet my needs. I don't nee=
d to drive the whole collection of speakers, 2 great ones does it for me. =
Also, where can it be purchased for the best price and good service.
=20
My general advice for most audiophiles is to go out and hear live, unampl=

ified music in a good hall. Real music is nothing like recorded music. Ev=
en the best systems do not reproduce life music. That said,
I'm looking for the best at what exists, but isn't absurdly expensive.
I'd like to put a limit of around $500, hopefully less but if necessary I=

pony up some more to get something amazing.
=20
I'm not going to be able to afford classic Mac power amps.
=20
And, for one's brain and musicality, learn to play a musical instrument. =

I have a large section on my web site on the relationship of learning musi=
c to intelligence. I'm somewhat of an expert on the Psychology of music.
www.comarow.com and look for the Brain and Music page.=20
=20
Thanks in advance,
Bob

I am perfectly happy with my speakers, and how they played with my=20
Nachamichi when it's running.

The Nachamichi, when connected to the RCAs from the TV, sometimes get a lo=
ud sound, then turn off. Sometimes over time they start hissing and stay o=
n. Sometimes they work for a while and then turn off.

Must be some type of protective circuity that is not working correctly.

I can often simply turn the Nachamichi off and restart it and it works good=
..

I can easily hear the difference between different receivers or integrated =
amps. I had the Proton, and it had it's own sound. The Nachamichi sounded=
great. And I had some type of audiphile unit I gave my son years ago.

I really don't think I need new speakers, the EPIs have great sexy bass, an=
d I'm a string bass player. Of course, an Italian string bass bowed has ve=
ry high, sweet overtones. 99% of people have no idea what a bass sounds li=
ke.
They think it's the sound that comes out of sub woofers. Wrong.

The Heil Air Motion Transformers do a superior job with the highs.

I did find some Chinese integrated tube amps, am concerned that their total=
harmonic distortion is 2%. I understand they are more natural types of di=
stortion, but I remember returning an old scott tube amp in 1974 when I was=
a music student and getting a Sony Integrated Amp that sounded great.
Don't remember the name.

The only speakers that impressed me was the Martin Logan CLS, and yes, I kn=
ow the specs say they lack bass, but their bass is more realistic than most=
other unit. I suspect the hybrid Martin Logans probably have better specs=
..

But as I said, I'm happy with my speakers.

I don't need USB ports, I already have a USB to HDMI box (Sewell HD) so all=
my sound goes to that. It would be nice if my TV could turn off it's spea=
kers.

With the Sewell box you don't need any type of smart TV or streaming TV
box, you can stream everything from your computer and cut out cable and get=
better selection and quality of programming without a cable bill. An atti=
c antenna gets the local stations, which living in Northern California has =
included post season baseball and football the last few years:-)

I'd pony up for a Mac with a pre-amp combination if I could get one of thei=
r really clean sounding units.