Horace Horace is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
There are a few sites on line that show how to restuff can caps:

http://www.ppinyot.com/C/capacitor_stuffing.htm

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl...ntage&n=171603

Cheers

Lar
Another method that bypasses cutting up the can is he
http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ant...tml?sort=6&o=0

The step in opening cans this way that is least clearly stated is how to get started curling up the crimped edge around the base of the cap. The can edge is typically crimped very tight and look nearly impossible to get a tool inserted to begin prying. One website suggested prying between the insulator plate and the mounting ring but I discovered that is more likely to damage the insulator. A better way I found is to secure the cap in a vise, upside down, with the flange resting on the jaws. Then use a small nail set punch and tap on the steel retaining ring (has the twist lock tabs) just inside the can's crimped aluminum. That will slightly compress the cap innards and make gaps between the steel ring and the crimped aluminum. Now you can insert a small screwdriver tip or other tool and begin turning up the crimp. From there on the procedure in the link above is simple enough. I steel pipe "anvil" isn't necessary, a burnishing tool or steel rod can be used to smooth out the uncrimped edge. It's only required that the edge not interfere with pulling the cap innards free once you've melted the tar enough.

Last edited by Horace : March 4th 14 at 04:27 AM