Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Default Need in/on ear monitoring for elderly church service?

On May 20, 10:20*pm,
(Richard Webb) wrote:
DAnny writes:
"~/ *I've seemed to hear after every church sound
upgrade in a traditional church is about those unsightly
speaker boxes. =This is one reason I suggested them as
strongly to DAnny as well. Since they won't jump right out
and visually shout "loud sound reinforcement" at the old
folks they'll not even really notice the difference, until
you turn 'em off one Sunday grin.

If you've never been to a Lutheran church you'd never believe it.
Change is the dirtiest word in the english language and I'm not
kidding. It's a joke really. We've got to figure out what the
budget is going to be and find the speakers but I think the
speakers will be able to be disguised well. One of the elders there
is an excellent woodworker and he's planning on making some kind of
enclosure (or at least as much as they can get covered) so you see
wood and not speakers.

Good plan, others can be as hidebound as well. *Grew up in
such a church, and have been aprt of three sound system
upgrades, all for the same reason. *Things are gradually
changing in that church, more of the grandchildren becoming
active, but I went through those battles. *OUr sanctuary
wasn't near as large as the one you're dealing with however, so a box on each side did just fine, though there were the
complaints about their appearance, then the same folks who
complained about their appearance did the "its too loud"
thing, even though it was spoken word only going through
them, whilst others in the back said "nope leave 'em alone,
in fact turn 'em up!" *TO which one heard the refrain "move
down front then dammit!"

Last upgrade was to cover entire building, auditorium
upstairs, fellwship hall in the basement, and better
amplification for the sanctuarry and a little better system
tuning capability. *Again, thanks to a bequest to assist
those with hearing difficulties. *I argued for and got most
of what I thought we needed that upgrade, the final one,
which is still in use 15 years later. *Only place where I
lost the battle was on location of the mixer and
amplification, the old pipe organ compressor closet in the
basement. *oh well I got 'em tweaked and dialed in after a couple weekday sessions with nobody in the church, listening to signals while instructing somebody via a walkie talkie
who was in the basement room grin.

Regards,
* * * * * *Richard
... * Remote audio in the southland: *Seewww.gatasound.com
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

Our last *upgrade* was to add a mackie mixer and take out the tin cans
and kite string. The entire floor is brick. They ran the snake all the
way to the back wall and up 4 feet inside the wall to install a mackie
mixer. Now - that is 120 feet under a solid brick floor inside a
conduit that you'd never be able to pull through or feed, then a 90
degree angle and up 4 feet. The wall its in then feeds line out
another 300 feet through wall and ceiling to a room pretty much as far
away as you can get to feed the PV amp, then back to the mixer
conduit, back up to the front and then again in a T with 2, 90 angles
to the walls, then up 15 feet inside the walls to the speakers....
mind you, all of it is brick and this is Louisiana so anywhere there
is a whole, there is something living in it.

I'm just running a snake under some nice wood floor trimming that is
going to be put in at the wall/floor join and then back around to the
back. I swear I laughed when they old folks jaws dropped and asked why
they didn't do that 30 years ago when they built the new church. Oh -
I didn't mention that under they brick, there is a 6 was split
somewhere that 6 channels branch out and pop up out of the brick floor
at various points around the pulpits etc.

This is turning into a real experience.