Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Need in/on ear monitoring for elderly church service?

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

This church is seriously suffering from sucky sound syndrome and has a
budget of a little less then nothing. The old folks refuse to sit
anywhere but in the back and the room is an pentagon wall and its 100%
brick for walls and floor with a big domed shape overhead that just
screws with sound. I think the reverb is louder then the source. The
combination is really the worst sound I've ever heard. ... I'm not
kidding about the old folks refusing to move closer. They wouldn't
consider moving 10 inches from where they have been sitting for 60-70
years and they all seem to sit at the back so they can get out if
their depends fill up.

Sounds like an application for delay rings to me, in that case.

You can't do anything about the flutter echo from the dome, but you
can get the speakers closer to the listeners so they hear more direct
sound and less reflected sound.

In extreme cases (big stone cathedrals for instance), pew back speakers
may be the only solution for good voice intelligibility.

I'm going to show them the various ideas presented by all of you - and
thanks. This is what happens in a small town where someone knows you
own a microphone. They want me to design a system for them when the
most I've done is to build a personal reenforcement/production studio.
(that was enough work and it was for ME!)

Tell them that PA systems don't make anything sound better, they just
make things sound louder. If the room sounds bad without PA, it will
sound worse and louder with PA.