Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Default Need in/on ear monitoring for elderly church service?

Scott Dorsey writes:
There are IR systems, RF systems, and the loop.

RIght, and depending on the mission more than one type might be needed.

The Sennheiser IR system is very popular. But, a lot of people
won't wear the headsets because they don't want people to know they
are hard of hearing.

I have worked with one organization who lends receivers to
the hearing impaired during their national conventions.
sOme theaters, etc. do this as well.

The induction loop requires minimal equipment but it requires more
careful engineering. It relies on the users having hearing aids
with pickup coils that can pick up the induced magnetic field from
the loop. Since many people have hearing aids that are fairly
concealable they are more apt to use them. But, this means people
without hearing aids are out of luck.

WHich is why there needs to be some careful consultation
with the church before a system is chosen. INduction loops
can be fun especially if the church is one of those that's
gone to the electric praise band instead of the organ and/or piano with choir.

Many folks who otherwise use hearing aids have the special
receivers that are used for descriptive audio for blind
folks, and audio reinforcement for the hearing impaired as
well. I'd suggest the church first consult its members with hearing impairments, and local professionals. Local
audiologists can tell the church if many in the community
have the special radio receivers, etc.

Regards,
Richard