Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Default Doug Sax on wire

In rec.audio.tech Paul Stamler wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..

snip

I don't believe in magic, and when confronted by
pseudoscience my bull**** detector goes off loudly. But I
also don't believe that *all* phenomena reported by audio
professionals without an axe to grind are imaginary,
simply because we don't *yet* have a scientific
explanation for them.

We're not talking about calling all phenomena reported by audio
professionals without an axe to grind imaginary, we're talking about
a goodly collection of audio phenomina for which there is no known
scientific explanation.

Sure, but there's a tendency among some folks to say that because there's no
known scientific explanation, the anecdotal reports must therefore be wrong
(or stronger words). Probably some of them are. But I'll wager that some are
not, and the scientific explanations -- like those for the nature of dark
matter -- await discovery.

Expectation effects, placebo effects, etc are known scientific explanations.

The problem with the anecdotal reports isn't that they require new
scientific explanations; it's that they fail to rule out the ones already
available.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason