Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

Arny Krueger wrote

In the end Chris, this is all about microphones, not
someone's elaborate philosoply of the meaning of life.
don't buy engineer's life's philosophy, I buy the
microphones that he designs because they sound good. If
the guy is an atheist or Buddhist or Mormon, and his
mics
are what I'm in the market for, then we've got a deal!

No logic Arny, I'm afraid.

I repeat, when I acquire equipment I buy a piece of
equipment, not the life's philosophy of the guy who
designed or built it. To do otherwise puts you on the
slippery slope of religious/cultural/racial prejudice.

You could equally say that you
don't care if the microphone is made of green cheese, as
long as it sounds good.

That's excluded middle illogic.

Point being that it wouldn't. Have
you checked that Buddhists, Mormons and atheists do
actually all make good microphones?

I believe so. And this isn't because I tried to find out
what the religous preferences of the designers were, itn
is just that I have stumbled over some incidental
knowlege, and I have met a few people in the industry.

OK, but some kind of objective survey would be
required...blind testing perhaps.

If you wanted an innovative microphone, one that would
embody more than received wisdom and common practice, I
suggest the atheist would be your best bet.

Stereotyping and religious prejudice noted.

Not prejudice. It's my summary judgement based on experience
and analysis. Could change.

If you say that as a rule that atheists make the best
microphone designers, its really about the same as saying
that people who belong to certain racial or cultural
group(s) aren't all that bright. If that's your life's
philosophy, then you have my regrets.

Nonsense, no-one is born with a belief in god. Neither did I
suggest that theists aren't bright, whatever bright means.
It's just that I would be more inclined to trust a designer
whose beliefs are based entirely on direct evidence, and
whose devotion is not divided. The problem would be how to
spot a real theist...lots of religious people just pretend.
Were I ever to require the services of a microphone
designer, I would ask for a statement of beliefs, and how
they are related to microphone design. I would be wary of
any who believe that god will help in the design work,
because I suspect He won't show up.

cheers, Ian