Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

"Ian Iveson" wrote in
message
.uk

Arny Krueger wrote

In the end Chris, this is all about microphones, not
someone's elaborate philosoply of the meaning of life. I
don't buy engineer's life's philosophy, I buy the
microphones that he designs because they sound good. If
the guy is an atheist or Buddhist or Mormon, and his mics
are what I'm in the market for, then we've got a deal!

No logic Arny, I'm afraid.

I repeat, when I acquire equipment I buy a piece of equipment, not the
life's philosophy of the guy who designed or built it. To do otherwise puts
you on the slippery slope of religious/cultural/racial prejudice.

You could equally say that you
don't care if the microphone is made of green cheese, as
long as it sounds good.

That's excluded middle illogic.

Point being that it wouldn't. Have
you checked that Buddhists, Mormons and atheists do
actually all make good microphones?

I believe so. And this isn't because I tried to find out what the religous
preferences of the designers were, itn is just that I have stumbled over
some incidental knowlege, and I have met a few people in the industry.

If you wanted an innovative microphone, one that would
embody more than received wisdom and common practice, I
suggest the atheist would be your best bet.

Stereotyping and religious prejudice noted.

If you say that as a rule that atheists make the best microphone designers,
its really about the same as saying that people who belong to certain racial
or cultural group(s) aren't all that bright. If that's your life's
philosophy, then you have my regrets.