Posted to rec.audio.tech
hotmeat hotmeat is offline

Default Can't select Digidesign ASIO driver in XP

Normally when you install drivers for a device it will install both ASIO (if
supported) and WDM Windows drivers. The WDM drivers are the only ones you
will see in the Sounds and Audio Devices panel, and are the only ones most
(non-ASIO) apps can see. You generally select ASIO drivers directly from the
supporting \application.

On my previous computer, in Sounds and Audio it would show me
Digidesign Digi 001 and another option for the factory installed
soundcard (what you mean by WDM?). Yes, you do choose whether to use
ASIO in third-party apps, but they wouldn't work if the setting in
Sounds and Audio didn't match. So, I can select ASIO in my tracking
program, but since there isn't even that option on the system end, it
gives me an error message.

That there is no WDM driver visible, and the ASIO doesn't seem to work
suggests to me that the driver install might have not completed correctly.

I disabled the factory installed audio driver over the course of
troubleshooting and so that's why I say the option was grayed out.
Enabled or no, it still won't let me use the Digi. The install process
was flawless. I also tried uninstalling, rebooting, swiitching the
soundcard to another PCI slot so it recognized it as a new device,
reinstalled the driver, had no problems, said it was
successful....still, nothing.

Or is the Digi 001 box not normally available to non-Digi applications ?
Wouldn't surprise me given their normal restrictive business model....

You can use the box with any other program that supports ASIO - you
just can't use ProTools software with anything other than Digidesign
hardware. I'm wondering if the soundcard or box are damaged somehow -
though there's no real indication that they are.. Or my new PC is
incompatible somehow. besides wiping my PC and loading a fresh copy of
XP, I can't think of anything else to do except try installing it on a
friend's computer....or finding someone with a Dgii 001 who would let
me switch out the hardware to troubleshoot.

Anything else I could try before I go through all that?