Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Any impressions on the EMM Labs CDSA-SE CD/SACD player?

"Sonnova" wrote in message

I'm not. The whole point of my participation in this
discussion is that if we can't make an audio system
convey the sense of realism associated with live music by
making each link in the chain as perfectly squeeky-clean
as is technologically possible, then perhaps that kind of
accuracy is not all that important to the reproduction of
music.

This is incredibly poor logic. It is as if we would be standing back in 1950
saying that since we can't fly man to the moon, doing so is unimportant, and
we should drop space exploration all together.

In fact tremendous progress has been made with the over-all realism of
reproduction of music and drama, partcularly within cost and space
limitations.

For example in the past two weeks I was at a friend's house, enjoying his
HDTV video and 8.2 channel multichannel sound system. He might have had
$10,000 invested in this system.

About 30 years earlier, we had a similar experience with the then-current
technology. Instead of the HDTV and Blu-ray player, a different host had set
up a then-modern motion picture theatre in his basement, complete with
contemporary 35 mm prints obtained by less-than-legal means, a modern 35mm
projector with arc lamp, and theatre-sized speakers. The only thing that was
down-sized was the screen. The investment was more like $100,000 not
including the media, which was essentially priceless.

The modern system was based on off-the-shelf products, and off-the-shelf
media. Not only did it cost less than 1/10 th as much not including
inflation, but it simply worked better and was far easier to operate and
maintain.