Eddie Runner

Default Old Stuff installers SUCK!

One of my all time favorites was the Panasonic COCKPIT!
that was really neat at the time with the joystick fader and the
big one had a seperate 4 channel amp...

Customers used to ask me all the time
"Eddie, do you think the cassette will ever catch on and
take the place of the 8 track?"

There was no doubt because casssettes were so slim you
could carry a bunch of them as oppposed to the HUGE
8 track cartidges....

Years later folks would ask me
"Eddie, do you think CDs will ever take the place of
cassette tapes?"

There were many doubters!!! So many folks were into
making thier own cassettes and at the time there was no
way to make your own CDs....!! Alot of folks had high
hopes for the DAT (digital audio tape) which had the sound
of CD and was recordable... But thanks to the record
industry that was kept out of most consumers hands...

I must be delierious..??
Just working late tonight finishing up a job in an H2
for a baseball player....

ha ha

Eddie Runner

John Durbin wrote:

yeah... and further back, the Ampex "microcassette" which was a
whale-sized hump mount deck... not sure why they though it was micro
anything, it was freaking huge.

JD

Eddie Runner wrote:

those old powerplay amps were killer for the day!

Remember the HUMP MOUNT FM 8 TRACK players!
the big dog had a slick BLUE light that lite up powerplay
on peaks to let you know the amp was workin....

John Durbin wrote:

Speaking of "funky van audio systems from the 70's", I will never
forget a guy that built an entire multi-amp system in a full-size
van with Craig PowerPlay boosters mounted on a chunk of wood on the
ceiling - he had "biamped" the system by placing passive crossover
networks AHEAD of the amps, in the high-level input signal path...
it worked too, although I have no idea how accurately he had picked
his component values to work with the input impedances etc.

Dude sure was proud of it though...

JD

Eddie Runner wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

My all-time favorite:
His response to me: "That's not necessary, I checked it myself and I'm
an electrical engineer"

I love it when they say that!! ha ha ha

Or, all the wires in the molex plug on the back of a stock radio
attached to the little 1/8 pins with bare, uninsulated alligator clamps

The best one I have seen is from about 20 years ago, a couple of brothers
(who still shop here today) had wired up an amplifier in the back of the
van that one of them had.... They were so proud of it they wanted me to
hear how great it sounded so they took me outside to hear it....

In the old days the panel vans were real popular, and the woof paneling
on the inside made a decent place to put 6 inch speakers... this amp was
hooked to the two rear speakers....

I listened and it played so I told em it sounded good (it was ok I guess)
and they proceded to take me to the back of the van and open the back
doors... They told me that needed to purchase some speaker wire from
me....

HA HA HA HA HA HA

I looked into the back of the van and there were short speaker wires
coming from the left and right speaker directly to the amp and the
amp was HANGING IN MID AIR BY THE SPEAKER WIRES!!

JUST HANGING THERE!!!!
SWINGING BACK AND FOURTH!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Thats an install I will never forget...