John Durbin

Default Installers are you and I

Yeah, and then there's those of us that know exactly what "most" means
and just don't agree with you.

Have you ever been a retail salesman? In a business that pays anything
worth mentioning? It ain't easy... I think there is lots of room for
improvement in not just the 12V industry, but virtually ALL industries
that rely in retail salespeople. However, until you've tried it, you
ought to restrain the urge to crap all over the whole profession - it's
a bitch of a way to make a living in my opinion. Which probably has a
lot to do with why the good ones move up and away from the floor more
often than not.

I'll also point out that I'd be surprised if you didn't hold this
opinion. After reading RAC and its prevailing winds for as many years as
I have, this is a group that is overrun with people that despise retail
salespeople for the most part and almost certainly they do not go into a
retail environment/experience with anything that resembles an open mind.
You get what you expect, in other words...

JD

Mark Zarella wrote:

I think the ones that are defending their installation profession probably
represent the 'good' installers/car audio shops that are out there. But

at

the same time I agree with Mark in the fact that it is hard to come by
'good' installers across the board. I've only had two installations done

by

someone other than myself. The first time was years ago when I first got
into this and I didn't know all the nuances of car audio. I traded in the
vehicle so I had to reverse engineer what the installer did and realized
that this wasn't rocket science. Then I started doing it myself. The
second instance was during the winter time and I didn't have the ability

do it myself so I found a place to do it. Both of my experiences were

fine

though.

But, there have been times where I gone in asking detailed questions about
products only to get blown off by the salesperson or told that there is no
such product when I know there was. Another occasion I was told by the
owner of the store that I didn't know nothing about T/S parameters and I

had

them all wrong. One other time the guy was trying to get me to ditch what

currently had and jump full bore into some $1500 system.

It's definitely a hit/miss situation. I usually don't bother with the

local

shops nowadays unless I need a part or something straightforward.

Salesman are another story entirely. Most of them have no installation
experience, and don't know a damned thing about anything.

Again, I'll probably be criticized for this too because someone will come
along and not know the difference between the words "most" and "all".