Scott Dorsey

Default preamp design

In article znr1070416326k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:
In article writes:

Until about 1985 or so, everything came with schematics in the manual.
And a lot of products still do.

Before 1985, there wasn't a product-of-the-month and competition
between manufacturers, so it was OK to openly publish a schematic
without a non-disclosure agreement. Today much of our gear is pretty
much unfixable even if you had a schematic, and the manufacturers
don't want to hint at trade secrets.

True. And more recently, we have cases where the people selling the
products in the US are just importers who don't know what is inside it
and don't care themselves, and the factory won't tell them anyway.

I don't see any reason why a mic preamp doesn't come with a schematic
though, other than that far more of them are sold to people who don't
read manuals (much less keep track of them) so it would be an
unjustified publishing expense.

I think it's a good thing. I learned an awful lot reading through the
Principles of Operation section in the Orban and CBS Labs manuals when
I was younger. People should look inside things.