David Grant

Default preamp design

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"David Grant" wrote in message

If anyone knows of any resources that would help me, I'd appreciate it.

I think a reasonable first step would be to figure out how to reliably and
relevantly determine the effectiveness and performance of a mic preamp.

Both
technical tests and listening tests seem relevant. Tests with various
microphones and microphone techniques and/or simulations of them seem
relevant.

Then, apply those evaluation techniques to a number of commercial products
at various price levels, as well as various technological implementations
(tubes, discrete solid state, ICs).

I assume I'd need to know how the commercial products I'm comparing are
designed for this to be of most benefit. Are there schematics available
somewhere for commercial units (I wouldn't expect there to be) or is it
practical to reverse engineer their design?