Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Default lifting ground at patchbay

Julian wrote:

For balanced outs feeding unbalanced ins, I'd connect the white to tip
shield to shield and float the black wire altogether. If you tie the
black and shield together you are shorting out the minus side of any
balanced outputs and that is not always a good thing.

I did mention that this may be required, but it wasn't the first
choice. There are some outputs for which it's imperitive to connect the
low side to ground if you're not connecting to a balanced input. A
transformer output is a good example, though you don't see them a lot
any more. And a cross-coupled electronic balance doutput is another.
This is why you have to either know what you have, or be able to
understand when (and why) what you've done isn't working right.

Also just to disagree with everyone else who's weighed in, I am not
opposed to breaking grounds at the patch bay. I've seen it work
really well in some studios.

That was a good way to work when we had tape hiss and fairly high
levels of internal hum to cover up EMI noise. Now that everything is
quiet enough for digital, your ground system has to be, as well.
Leaving a hole in the shield for EMI to creep in is not helpful.