T. Day

Default Radio Shack Sound Level Meter

"Hank2" wrote in message
. com...
I have recently bought a Radio Shack Digital Sound Level Meter. It has a
facility for taking "average" readings over periods up to 200 seconds. I
tried an experiment where I performed an "average" over a set period

during
which, for half of the time I turned the noise source off. Instead of
indicating and average equal to 3db below the source power, a drop of

around
8db showed up. Obviously it was not averaging power.

Other tests where I varied the sound source power during the averaging
period, showed that the meter was not indicating average db readings

either.

If the "average" indicated is not of power, nor of dbs, just what is it?

An explanation would be much appreciated.

Possibly, I am misunderstanding your question. But what it is averaging is
dBSPL (Sound Pressure Level), which is not power. What it should have
indicated, if your timing was accurate and the unit is reasonably well
calibrated is a loss of 6dB for your test procedure. 8dB isn't all that bad
considering the "quality" of the equipment in question. ;-)