Posted to rec.audio.tubes
David Farber

Default Music Man HD-130.

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"David Farber"

Hi Phil,

I plugged the main power cord into a current limiting AC outlet (200

watt
light bulb in series) via a variac. Just turning up the AC voltage a
little
bit caused the current to take off. I think what happened was when the
originally loose yellow wire to the filter cap was not soldered on
properly,
it allowed the amp to turn on because there was no high voltage output.
Once
I soldered it on, it restored the high voltage and then I was able to
locate
the original fault.

** So your ".. too much current at idle" = I am not able to bring

the
variac up more than a tad without all hell breaking loose ?

Interesting use of the term "idle" there.

...... Phil

Apologies if I was a bit loose with my terminology. Perhaps we should use
fault codes in these newsgroups so misunderstandings like these don't happen
again. How about, AHBLWTUWV? (all hell breaks loose when turned up with
variac) (-:

I'll triple check the output transformer just to make sure it really is bad.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center