Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Quote without comment

MiNe 109 wrote:
snip
Finally, after doing this a hundred times or so I have to
observe that the audio quality of the run of the mill
vinyl from that era was pretty bad. It got a lot better
starting in mid-1969, probably because a new generation
of disc cutters was just coming on line.
I find
incomprehensible the affection that some people evidently
have for the audio quality of vinyl from that era.
Bob Orban

Who is Robert Orban?

Nice appeal to authority. Was someone arguing in favor of damaged,
poor-quality vinyl?

I dunno. I didn't read the thread which provoked the above. My
experience in the 60's/70's was that the vast majority of vinyl records
(the only kind available, of course) were real crap, quality wise. If
one wanted a quiet, clean copy of a given suite of music, it was
necessary to buy multiple copies and transfer immediately to tape. I
never--repeat, NEVER--heard a completely pop-free album in my entire
life...and I was a dealer.

Still, there is that nostalgia for the 'good ol' days' that persists and
grows.

jak

Stephen.