Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past inthe pro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 2:01:45 AM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 30/11/2020 7:36 pm, Will StG wrote:
On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 11:57:46 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:

Why is the dialogue in film way too low in level and unintelligible?

Yep, action films are the worst where dialog is usually considered
completely unimportant compared to impressive sound effects.

When I asked a credentialed film mixer that question a couple weeks ago, he insisted it was because film is mixed mixed on a calibrated system and I was unfortunate enough to have an uncalibrated consumer system.

So either he expects all consumers to have professionally calibrated
systems, or he simply doesn't care about his ultimate customers.
He made sure to point out the letters after his name.

A sure sign of a ******.
I did ask him why he didn't check his mixes in his car (metaphorically.)
:-)
I'm not sure that is even the problem. It's simply a choice of what is
important in the mix, and sadly the dialog is often considered
secondary, and completely unintelligible for anyone the slightest bit
hard of hearing. However if it's a usual 5.1 mix with dialog directed to
the centre, at home you can at least turn up the centre. If you dont
have a centre speaker then the simple answer is to get one.

_______

But are we possibly falling into an old trap here - one of blaming the mixer/engineer for largely fulfilling the studio/director/producer's wishes?