Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default "Value" Mic Transformers

On 2/7/2019 11:08 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
Hmm, do you NOT have a blog for reviews? Do we need to talk?

I have a blog for reviews, but these days, when I ask for a piece to
review, the first question is "What publication do you write for?" When
I tell them that I plan to put the review on my web site (I don't like
to call it a "blog"), the next question is "How many visitors do you
have per month?" When I give them the honest answer of about 200, that's
the last I hear.

My reviewing has about ground to a halt. Recording won't let me review
anything any more. I figure that if it's worth writing about, it'll take
5,000 words or so, maybe more, and they want 2,000 or less.

George Petersen told me once that a review that long isn't a review,
it's a manual, to which my response was something like "Yeah, it's what
the the manufacturer didn't put in the manual." I don't figure that
everyone who reads one of my reviews, or anyone else's, for that matter,
is going to run out and buy the product. I write a review so that even
someone who already owns one can learn something from reading it, and
someone who's considering buying it can learn something about operating
levels or specifications.

But kids these days don't care about that stuff. They just want to know
how it sounds on drums or how cleanly it distorts (go figure that one out).