Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] kwgmatthies@gmail.com is offline

Default XP based DAW: More than one meg of memory?

On Mar 20, 4:29 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:31:54 -0800, spud wrote:
Is there a specific problem you are looking to solve?

With 16 main tracks and just a few clips on maybe 10 others, after I
add fx the machine runs at roughly 70% and feels glitchy and sometimes
shows funky screen redraws. I thought adding memory might solve that.
Also, I meant gig of memory not meg, sorry.

Maybe the key is in that throwaway line "...once I add fx...." :-)

Manufacturers delight in making e.g. high-quality reverb plugins that
are very resource-hungry. It's no great trick to max out ANY hardware
by adding instances of these.

Tell us about your FX structure. Are you using a single Send FX for
several tracks where possible?

You could maybe spend a lot of money and buy a new machine that
allowed 50% or even 100% more plugins. Or you could maybe rationalise
your use of FX and require enormously less resources.

Anyway, tell us how your tracks and FX are set up?

Yes, I agree--could very well be the FX stealing CPU cycles,
especially if they are running on multiple tracks.

Always best to bounce multiple tracks to a single track before
applying plugin if possible.