Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville
Default Another PC Oddity

On May 16, 10:35*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
I have a Tosiba NB305 series Netbook computer here running Windows XP.
'Scu'se me for my simplicity, but when I'm traveling and need to edit
some audio, I just use the built-in audio hardware and plug headphones
into the jack on the side of the computer.

I usually don't shut down Windows, but rather put it into hibernation.
It uses practically no battery in that mode and starts up quickly when I
want to use it again. But what I've found is that after a few cycles
going in and out of hibernation, I lose the audio output and have to
restart Windows in order to get it back. Audio programs don't complain
that they can't find a playback device, the Windows Sound/Audio window
shows the correct audio device, and the mixer doesn't show that it's
muted. (yes, I've tried exercising the Mute button and also checked for
'reversed' operation).

Does anyone have an educated guess as to what's going on here? Is there
any way I can reset the audio without restarting Windows? *It's not a
big deal, I'm just curious as to why this happens. I suppose it could be
a Toshiba thing, that it somehow disconnects the headphone output
amplifier to save the battery after a certain length of hibernation
time, but I've had the audio work after several days of hibernation. It
seems to go away after a number (unknown) of hibernation in/out cycles.

Your next question is about whether it does this only with the internal
audio hardware and not when I've set up an external audio device for
Windows playback (or even program playback if it's not the Windows
default). I don't know, since I rarely use an external audio interface
with this computer.

I've noticed a vaguely similar issue with hibernation here.
IBM desktop running XP Pro with both a pci RME HDSP,
and the inbuilt (presumably AC97) stereo chip.

After the second hibernation cycle the RME tray icons are gone,
as is the sound. Onboard sound still works.

The HP laptop's sound seems to tolerate hibernation better.
It's the wireless that hangs after a couple hibernations.

rd