Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman Paul Dorman is offline

Default Question About Organ Service Manual Test Procedure

In the electrical test and adjustment procedure, this organ service
manual asks for an "Audio VTVM", to measure Tibia or Bourdon
channel levels, to meter readings of +5dB (1.4 VAC) for example, either
at one of the speaker voice coils, or at the crossover.

Obviously, VTVM stands for vacuum tube volt meter, but can I just use my
regular Volt-Ohm-Meter in AC voltage measurement setting, to
make these measurements?

My meter is NOT a True-RMS meter, so I know if the signal is too far off
from an ideal sinusoid, the RMS reading will be off, but I am hoping it
will be close enough.

And I assume +5dB means +5 Decibels Above the Noise Floor, but I have
never used an audio meter that measured in dB. I would guess that with
such a meter, you would normalize 0 dB to the noise floor, with no signal?